Here are some really old news entries that never got migrated to the database.
Return to main news page
208 (NEWS 401) - Possession and Pre-defined Emotes
By Alara: I've gone and done a super awesome, super streamlined thing!! The Sluagh race has been given the "Possess" skill! This means that while in the same room with some thing that is able to be possessed, you can POSSESS
. From this point on, you will be set as dark, but instead of Someone doing all the things that are audible in your location, it will look like the thing you are possessing is acting.
This applies to all communications specific to room-wide audible actions like SAY, EMOTE, HISS, ASK, EXCLAIM. I am also working on updating pre-defined emotes to handle possessed things as well, but since I have coded each of these separately from one another, I feel it's now time to streamline them into a single command or set of commands.
Here is a list of specific examples (using 'a creepy bunny man' as the target of our possession):
- SAY Hello: 'A creepy bunny man says, "Hello."'
- EMOTE grins creepily: 'A creepy bunny man grins creepily.'
TICKLE: 'A creepy bunny man wiggles his fingers threateningly.'
- TICKLE Alara: 'A creepy bunny man tickles you mercilessly!'
Additionally!! This rewrite of the pre-defined emotes now means that you can use emotes on things:
TICKLE MAN: 'Alara tickles a creepy bunny man mercilessly!'
There are a FEW weirdnesses and things people might find odd:
1. You will no longer be able to target yourself with a pre-defined emote. Trying to will revert to the untargetted version.
2. If you are possessing something and it in turn uses a targeted emote on you, it will work, but you will see yourself acting on yourself, and then the thing acting against you.
3. You must be in the same location as the object you are possessing. Moving to somewhere else will revert to the typical dark-mode commucation where your name will be substituted with 'Someone.'
A few other things of note: UNPOSSESS/RELEASE clears the possession of the thing, and unhides you in the room. Also logging out (and maybe dying in the future) will force you to UNPOSSESS.
--Mon, 12 Feb 2018 15:38:34 MST